RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
To be able to respond in an exhaustive manner to the demands of such a vast dynamic sector, Probiotical has created an innovative Research Center: 1200 square meters of clean room laboratories, divided in sterile, fermentation, cryoprotection, freeze-drying, grinding, mixing and packaging areas, and quality control laboratories for product analysis and batch certifications.
Pilot Fermentation Centre
Probiotical is well known for its constant research on microorganisms selected for their specific beneficial action, and for its continual studies on their potential positive effects on human health. For this reason, Probiotical Research Center is made up of several laboratories, among which the Pilot Fermentation Centre, the Molecular Biology Laboratory, and the Human Cell Lines Laboratory. Research and Development represents the real heart of the company: 10% of Probiotical’s revenue are invested in research, compared to a European average of 2.5%, and to an Italian average of 1.6%. Efficiency, reliability and diligence are the foundations of this department’s strength; innovation, technical expertise and ingenious minds complete the picture.
Molecular Biology Laboratory
Our team of researchers is daily committed to both explorative and applied research. Concerning the first field, studies are conducted towards the discovery of probiotics with different functionalities: in addition to the traditional beneficial support to the intestinal motility, our research team is investigating new strains, with specific metabolic properties able to produce:
- hydrolytic enzymes to enhance the absorption of nutrients;
- short-chain fatty acids to reduce fecal pH and to provide a trophic effect on enterocytes;
- bacteriocins, to create a barrier effect against potential intestinal pathogens;
- probiotic strains able to produce vitamins such as B2, B12 and folic acid, essential in the regulation of homocysteine concentration, which is the cause of several cardiovascular and neurodegenerative conditions;
- antioxidant and antiaging complexes, to enhance the quality of life and protect against typical degenerative disease associated with aging;
- probiotic strains with an hypoglycemic and cholesterol-reducing activity, to prevent the risk of serious cardio-circulatory conditions;
- probiotic strains with an anti-inflammatory action and a biological activity particularly useful for IBS and IBD.
- probiotic strains naturally containing zinc and selenium, highly bioavailable;
- probiotic strains with a strong action against E. coli;
- probiotic strains able to treat atopic dermatitis;
- probiotic strains with a strong action against vaginal candidiasis and bacterial vaginosis,
- probiotic strains to treat infant gaseous colics;
- probiotic strains to maintain a condition of homeostasis and reduce the negative consequences;
- probiotic strains with an immunomodulatory action that positively affects the immune system;
available clinical studies show that specific probiotic blends have been successfully tested on the prevention and treatment of typical winter diseases.
Human Cell Lines Laboratory
Applied research is concerned with the design of effective products, with strains properties assured until the expiry date. This activity focuses on several fields: studies on prebiotic fibers, able to optimize probiotic cultures development, on strain biocompatibility towards other active ingredients and excipients of the final formulation, on finished products stability and effectiveness.